Monday, October 16, 2017

BOOK REVIEW: Through the Woods by Emily Carrol


Through the Woods by Emily Carrol
Published date: 15 July, 2014
Published by: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Genres: Graphic Novel, Horror, Fantasy, Short Stories
Pages: 208
Format: Kindle Edition
Rating: 5*
Synopsis:
'It came from the woods. Most strange things do.'


Five mysterious, spine-tingling stories follow journeys into (and out of?) the eerie abyss.

These chilling tales spring from the macabre imagination of acclaimed and award-winning comic creator Emily Carroll.

Come take a walk in the woods and see what awaits you there...

REVIEW:
This book scared the sh*t out of me.
I must confess that I read the book during my work shift and it was day time and still I was scared like hell.


Every single story left me intrigued to read the next one and see what kind of monsters Emily thought of. Besides being scary, creepy, whatever you want to call it, I thought this book was amazing and mystical. I never thought I could love so much reading about horror short stories as much as I loved this graphic novel book. I must say that I want to read more Emily Carrol works. 

     



Let's talk about the art.

Minimalistic yet beautifully drawn, gory and scare-the-hell-out-of-you creepy. If someone described me the drawings or even showed me one of the scarier ones I probably wouldn't read this because I'm not a fan of scary stories but I confess that I was intrigued so I gave it a try and fell completely in love with the art and every single tale.


I've definitely been reading more graphic novels and I've been falling in love with most of them but I'm sure this one will stick to me because of the creepiness level it has but also because we all have fears and these tales reminded me of my childhood fears such as darkness, monsters under my bed, noises I heard during the night and the woods (of course).
If you're a scary cat like myself don't read this at night. I read during the day and I still did get scared.
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment