Monday, February 19, 2018

BOOK REVIEW: Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air #1) by Holly Black

Cruel Prince by Holly Black
Published date: 2 January, 2018
Published by: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Genres: Fantasy, Young Adult, Fae 
Pages: 384
Format: Ebook
Rating: 3*
Synopsis:
Of course I want to be like them. They’re beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever.


And Cardan is even more beautiful than the rest. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe.

Jude was seven years old when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy him–and face the consequences.

In doing so, she becomes embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, discovering her own capacity for bloodshed. But as civil war threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself.
REVIEW:
3 SOLID DISAPPOINTING STARS !!

[May the hate towards my review come. I'm ready y'all.]

So... Cruel Prince...

I don't even know where to start but I ain't gonna spoil anything at all so this will be a very short review.

This is the first Holly Black book I read and I had high expectations. Why?! Well, let's give a round of applause to my best friend [irony] THE HYPE!! 
For real, the hype people do over books tend to ruin them to me and I wanted to love this book so much but I wasn't able.


Did I enjoy it? I did.
Will I re-read it?? Hell to the big NO. 
Did I love any character(s)? Hahah, you're funny. Not a single one, honey.


The story is intriguing but I didn't like the way Holly Black explored this world and their characters. She fussed over so many things as if they were a matter of life and death but in the end they were completely forgotten throughout the story. I spent the entirety of the book asking myself if anyone would bring up said topic/action/moment that was supposedly soooo important
Yes, I'm pissed. 


I truly tried to create any kind of connection towards the characters but I just couldn't make myself do it because it was impossible to connect with them. Actually, to me, most things in this book didn't even make sense. 
So basically, I struggled to put myself in anyone's shoes because I just thought everyone was trash. Even the main character.


Will I be reading the second next year? Yes.
Why? Because I want to give this a second chance. 
As I said, I didn't like it but I did enjoy it in its entirety. Overall I was able to enjoy it but if we brake this book into sections... Oh honey, I will hate the heck out of it and point out every single ridiculous thing there is in each sentence.
Share:

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear this book didn't live up to the hype. I haven't read it yet, but I still want to give it a go. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my review and leaving a comment.
      I think I might've liked it more if the hype wasn't that extreme as it is.
      Oh well, I just hope the second book entices me more.

      Delete
  2. This is the first 3 star review that I saw for Cruel Prince, i’m sorry it didnt live up to your expectations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In general, the plot was damn awesome and some traits in some characters were enjoyable but there were so many things that pissed me off and I thought were confusing or didn't make any sense at all.
      I'm dying to read the second book but this one truly didn't live up to my expectations.

      Delete